K-12 Data & Security Symposium
The Learning Technology Centers, in partnership with the Illinois State Board of Education, is facilitating a free, one-day professional development event on April 19 (Springfield) and April 20 (Willowbrook). Participants will be able to identify current legal requirements for data security, discuss K-12 privacy and data security concerns and best practices, and hear updates regarding Illinois' Education Data Systems, including Ed360, SIS, and MyIRC.
April 19, 2018
IEA Professional Development Center
3440 Liberty Drive, Springfield, IL
April 20, 2018
341 75th St, Willowbrook, IL
Audience: Administrators, teacher leaders, data experts, and technology staff in school districts who are responsible for collecting, maintaining, reporting, or certifying student data.
Partnering Organizations: The Illinois State Board of Education, the Illinois Department of Innovation and Technology, Northern Illinois University, and the U.S. Department of Education’s Privacy Technical Assistance Center.
More information is available at http://ltcillinois.org/datasymposium/
2018 Educator License Renewals
- Educators who hold a PEL and ELS-CTE license, with an expiration of 6/30/2018, may renew beginning April 1, 2018.
- Educators who hold an ELS-PARA license, with an expiration of 6/30/2018, may renew beginning April 15, 2018.
- Educators who hold a SUB license, with an expiration of 6/30/2018, may renew beginning May 1, 2018.
The “renewal” hot link in educators’ action centers will not be activated until the dates identified above.
Keep in mind that professional development for this renewal cycle must be completed by June 30, 2018 and PELs and ELS-CTEs must be renewed by August 31, 2018 to prevent them from lapsing.
Here is a list of helpful webinars or tutorials -
- Never logged into ELIS? How to create an ELIS Account https://vimeo.com/196776894
- Need to enter your Professional Development Hours? - https://www.isbe.net/Documents/record-prof-dev.pdf
- Have you been working in a NON-public school, retired or not working on your license during this cycle? You will need to update your Professional Development/Employment Status - https://vimeo.com/196777012 or https://www.isbe.net/Documents/nonpublic-oos-pd-exemption-reg.pdf
FOR TEACHERS REGARDING P D
Effective This Year (June 30) and beyond...
If you do not have ALL your PD in by June 30 of the year you renew:
- Your license will lapse
- You will owe $500 to get it back
- You will still owe the remainder of your PD requirement in order to renew
- You cannot work until
1) the $500 is paid
2)your PD is entered and hourly requirement met
3) you renew and pay to register
If you recall, it used to be Sept 1 (or actually the first day of school) or sooner if you were teaching summer school in July/Aug. They have emphasized this to us today that this will be how the ELIS system will operate.
Bottom Line according to ISBE: Don't test the system. Complete and enter all of your PD into your ELIS account, and renew and register your license before June 30 of your renewal year.
National Board Certification
2018 Spring Window for the Illinois $1,900 NBPTS Candidate Fee Subsidy on February 15, 2018. The National Board Resource Center at Illinois State University will process applications for eligible Illinois teachers. Funding has been made available for 500 candidates. Please take this opportunity to start the NB process and invite other outstanding teachers or counselors to join you in becoming a National Board Certified Teacher.
National Board Certification offers a way for accomplished teachers to be assessed and recognized, and a way for parents to know their child’s teacher has met high and rigorous standards. The single most important action the nation can take to improve schools is to strengthen teaching. NBPTS develops high and rigorous standards for accomplished teachers and 118,000 teachers across the country and 6,373 teachers in Illinois have demonstrated that they meet those standards by achieving National Board Certification. National Board Certified Teachers are among the nation’s most effective teachers who have demonstrated that they meet the highest teaching standards.
The NBPTS certification process takes from one to three years to complete. Throughout this period, candidates:
· Analyze and reflect on student learning, based on small and large group work with students, which is supported by video recordings of classroom teaching.
· Analyze and reflect on student learning using student work samples.
· Document accomplishments of working with families and the community, colleagues and the profession and show evidence of how that work impacts student learning.
· Respond to online assessment exercises that demonstrate subject-matter expertise.
Revisions to the Certification Process - Certification has been revised to make the process more flexible and efficient for teachers, to incorporate the latest research, and to reduce the cost.
Crosswalk Illinois Education Initiatives and National Board (NBPTS)- ISBE education initiatives align to National Board Five Core Propositions.
National Board Certification is the only avenue to become a Master Teacher in Illinois. Standards for each content area and developmental level are created by teachers, for teachers. They represent a consensus among educators about what accomplished, effective teachers should know and be able to do to improve student learning and achievement. Board certification is available in 25 certificate areas, from Pre-K through 12th grade.
Certification consists of four components: 1) Content Knowledge, 2) Differentiation in Instruction, 3) Teaching Practice and Learning Environment, and 4) Effective and Reflective Practitioner. Throughout its 30-year history, the National Board has sought to review and revise its standards and certification process to reflect best practices in teaching. Throughout the process, you will be able to apply what you’re learning to your classroom practice and connect with other teachers pursuing certification. Recognizing the many demands on teachers’ time, the process is designed to be flexible, efficient and affordable.
Candidates in Illinois will complete only components 2 and 4 during the 2018-2019 cycle. NOTE: The Illinois National Board Subsidy application closes on May 20, 2018.
Click logo for more details and start planning now...
June 19 - 20, 2018
Gateway Convention Center, Collinsville, IL
with optional Administrator Academy June 18, 2018
Be sure to visit our events page for upcoming event information!
Green Text = Link