Macoupin County School Districts
Bunker Hill Unit #8
Dr. Victor Buehler, Superintendent
Carlinville Unit #1
Mike Kelly, Superintendent
Gillespie Unit #7
Joe Tieman, Superintendent
Mt. Olive Unit #5
Patrick Murphy, Superintendent
North Mac #34
Marica Cullen, Superintendent
Patrick Bowman, Superintendent
Brad Skertich, Superintendent Phone: 618-729-3813
Dan Cox, Superintendent Phone: 618-635-2962
ACE - Macoupin Safe School
Nancy Werden, Director
Lori Loveless, Principal
Dave Manning, Principal
Green Text = Link
< If the school name appears is green, it is a link to their website.
There is a wealth of information here for those wishing to search through school records to learn about schools and students in Macoupin County in the early 20th century. Persons who know the name or number of a school in which they are interested may easily go to the list of schools by name or number and click on that school.
If the general location of a school is all that is known, the researcher may go to the appropriate township and find the approximate area on the map where the school was located and see the number corresponding to that area. That number indicates the school district number. Then, the schools are listed on the page with the map by name and by number. Click on the school of interest.
Once a researcher has reached the records of the school he/she wants to explore, the information available for most schools includes:
• Pictures of the schools, most from 1911-1913;
• Preliminary classification/first week classification (fall registration records);
• Report of classifications, standing, advancement and attendance (spring records); *Researchers should check both spring and fall records for complete information.
• Teachers’ annual reports to the County Superintendent of Schools which include numbers of students, condition of buildings, teacher salaries, etc. (These records are included from 1912-1948.);
• Physician’s reports from 1927-1929;
• Undated lists of members of boards of directors;
• Miscellaneous documents that may include reports to boards of directors concerning school visits by the County Superintendent of Schools, reports of inspections by the Department of Public Health, laboratory reports on wells, and applications for recognition.