ISBE Pathways to Licensure
Are you interested in becoming an educator in Illinois, or are you a current educator who is interested in adding additional content area endorsements? This page provides the pathways available to do so, as well as resources, like our Directory of Approved Programs, to aid you in the process.
TEACHERS: To register or renew your teaching license visit www.isbe.net.
WEB BROWSER COMPATIBILITY WITH ISBE/ELIS -- For optimum results in creating an ELIS account, applying for a license/endorsement, renewing, or paying any fees, please use Internet Explorer or the Firefox web browser from a Mac, PC, or laptop. ISBE does not recommend any other web browsers for use with the ELIS system. If you use a non-recommended web browser (e.g., Google Chrome),you may experience system errors."
Click this link for an instruction sheet that may be helpful as you navigate the licensure system. Please feel free to give us a call if you have any questions. (Updated Jan 2017)
STEP-BY-STEP VIDEO FROM ISBE
Renewing Your License in ELIS
Substitute Teacher in ROE #40
In order to be eligible to Substitute Teach in ROE #40 school districts you will need the following when you apply at the schools:
Become a Paraprofessional
You may apply for an educator license with stipulations may be issued to an individual who is at least 20 years of age, holds a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent, and has met one of the following requirements:
1. Holds an associate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education;
2. Has completed at least 60 semester hours of credit from a regionally accredited institution of higher education (excluding remedial coursework) (coursework must be passed with a “D” or higher);
3. Presents an official score report from Educational Testing Service (ETS) showing a score of 460 or higher on the ParaPro test; or
4. Presents evidence of earning the following scores on the Work Keys test (offered by ACT): Reading for Information (4), Writing/Business Writing (3), and Applied Mathematics (4).
To apply for an educator license with stipulations endorsed as a paraprofessional educator, individuals may submit an application in the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS.) A $100 fee will be assessed electronically when the application is submitted. After submitting their application, individuals should have a copy of their high school diploma and official transcripts showing completion of any college coursework sent to ISBE. An educator license with stipulations endorsed as a paraprofessional educator is not valid until it is registered. Once registered, the license is valid until June 30 immediately following five years of the endorsement being issued and may be renewed.
Para Professional Test
ROE #40 Carlinville office offers the Para Professional Licensure test on Tuesdays and Thursdays. (If you already have an Associates or higher, or more than 60 semester hours you may not need to take the test - give us a call).
The exam is $75.00 and must be scheduled by calling the Carlinville office at 217-854-4016. For more information about the Para Professional test visit this link.
IMPORTANT: If you already hold a valid teaching license or sustitute teaching license you are eligible to work as a parprofessional without an additional license.
23 ILLINOIS ADMINISTRATIVE CODE 1.630 SUBTITLE A SUBCHAPTER a
Section 1.630 Paraprofessionals; Other Unlicensed Personnel
Pursuant to Sections 10-22.34 and 34-18 of the School Code [105 ILCS 5/10- 22.34 and 34-18], school boards may employ nonteaching personnel or use volunteer personnel for nonteaching duties not requiring instructional judgment or evaluation of pupils.
School boards may further utilize volunteer personnel or employ personnel who do hold an educator license with stipulations endorsed for paraprofessional educator to serve as paraprofessionals (or "teacher aides") to assist in the instruction of pupils, so long as each individual is under the immediate supervision of a teacher who holds a valid professional educator license endorsed for the teaching field of assignment and is directly engaged in teaching subject matter or conducting activities (see Sections 10-22.34 and 34-18 of the School Code). To "assist in the instruction of pupils", i.e., to serve as a paraprofessional, means to support teachers through interactions with students that will help them master curricular content, such as by tutoring; or to assist with classroom management, such as by organizing instructional materials.
Beginning July 1, 2013, an individual employed as a paraprofessional shall meet the requirements set forth in 23 Ill. Adm. Code 25.510 (Paraprofessionals) except in the following circumstances.
- Any individual whose paraprofessional approval was continued after June 30, 2013, in accordance with the provisions of 23 Ill. Adm. Code 25.15 (Types of Licenses; Exchange), may continue to serve as a paraprofessional subject to any limitations of his or her approval.
- An individual who holds an educator license indicative of completion of a bachelor's degree may serve as a paraprofessional without obtaining an educator license with stipulations endorsed for paraprofessional educator.
Helpful licensure links and How-to's:
- Educator Licensure Requirements (web)
- How to Enter Professional Development in your ELIS (doc)
- Retired or Considering Retiring? What you need to know to keep your PEL (doc)
- Illinois Licensure Testing System (web)
- How to set up your Elis Account (video)
- Subs and ParaPros - How to renew your license. (doc)
- Illinois ROE Offices Contact Info (web)
Professional Development (PD)
Sign Up For TRS Email Alerts
Teachers' Retirement System is dedicated to providing its 366,000 members with the latest information from Springfield on potential legislative changes with their pensions.
The quickest methods for TRS to keep you up-to-date are direct TRS Email Alerts to members and information updates on their website: trs.illinois.gov.
To sign up for TRS Email Alerts, all you and your colleagues have to do is send an email with your name and an electronic address to TRS at email@example.com. They will add you to the system and you will automatically receive the next Email Alert and all subsequent alerts. If you need to update your email address with TRS, just send them an email to the same TRS address with your updated information.
TRS - Teacher Retirement System of Illinois
2815 W Washington St, Springfield, IL 62702
877-627-5877 Web: https://www.trsil.org/
Need to change the email address on your ELIS account? Here's how . . .
Click on the green links for more details